PCNL (Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy) allows the urologist to check every small detail with greater ease. The PCNL is an effective approach to looking at all the important parts of the kidney. When you consult one of the known Urologist in Ludhiana he makes the desired selection based on the stone, renal architecture, and patient characteristics.
During PCNL Surgery in Punjab, you will need to lay on your back where the urologist makes an incision of 1 cm. Through proper track, the little incision allows it to be properly reached. Throughout the procedure, the surgeon uses an X-ray to take the images and see where exactly the problem is. Additionally, X-ray helps to check the:
- Stone Quantity
- Kidney overall structure
When you visit the Urology Hospital in Punjab the surgeon will tell you the most appropriate manner to break stones. In most cases, the surgeon uses a laser to break the stone effectively.
What is the need for Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy?
The PCNL is recommended in different situations like:
- For large kidney stones that are making obstruction in the large system. In medical terms, it’s called staghorn kidney stones.
- A kidney stone that are more than 2 centimetres and causing significant pain
- Large stone present in the ureter
- Other medical approaches have failed
Before PCNL you need to undergo different tests to seek the desired results. Additionally, there’s a requirement for CT (computerized tomography) to check if there are stones present in the kidneys.
How is the PCNL procedure performed?
The PCNL has become standard care for patients with large kidney stones. Moreover, for the patients who cannot get the stone treatment through conventional procedure through one or another approach. The PCNL procedure has significantly reduced the need for open kidney stone treatment in several cases.
The procedure requires an incision of 1cm in the flank area. Throughout the procedure, the doctor uses an X-ray to view the stone and then targets it through a laser. Once it’s broken the surgeon removes it safely from the body.
Benefits of PCNL for kidney stone
When you compare PCNL with conventional or open surgery then it offers several benefits like:
- The postoperative pain has reduced
- Shorter hospital stay
- Can get back to daily regime within less time. But, please get clearance from the doctor if you are fit to get back to daily activity.
- The PCNL has a higher success rate for stone removal than just one treatment session.
Do’s and Don’ts after PCNL treatment
- Don’t lift anything heavy 4 weeks after the surgery
- Don’t drive for 2 weeks after the surgery
- Don’t strain the bowel motion or even try to squeeze it
- Don’t do any intense exercise for 4 weeks and don’t climb stairs too much.
- You should drink plenty of water to help the urine flow through the body
- You should keep a urinal handy as in the initial week you can experience dribbling and poor urine control.
Do you have any doubts?
If there’s any doubt on your mind then schedule your initial consultation at Khosla Stone Kidney & Surgical Centre.